Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sneaky Pete (and Dr. O'Boogie)


As most of you probably know by now, 'SNEAKY' PETE KLEINOW, a founding member of the FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS, died Saturday at the age of 72.

There's more info on Pete here:

http://www.sneakypetekleinow.com/

Pete was the pedal steel player of choice for the early '70s California country-rock crowd, playing with folks like LINDA RONSTADT, JACKSON BROWNE, THE EAGLES, and lots of others.



One of the LPs Pete played on was JOHN LENNON's "Mind Games", which he's all over.






So this seems like as good a time as any for a posting of the original, out-of-print, un-remixed version of the "Mind Games" CD. Speaking of which........

I certainly give Yoko a lot of credit for all the great John Lennon music she's made available over the years, and I appreciate the remixes she's done, but I do tend to think that she should somehow keep the original mixes in print also. After all, the original mixes were the only mixes ever actually approved by John - that was the way he intended those albums to be heard. (The remixed version of the "John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band" CD still freaks me out - its definitely not the way John mixed it! And that's not to mention the "bonus tracks" - having what was the LP's beautiful conclusion of "God" and "My Mummy's Dead" immediately followed by "Power To The People" diminishes the impact of a powerful piece of work. In my opinion.)

Anyway, for your listening pleasure, here's John Lennon, with Sneaky Pete Kleinow, and the original, non-re-mixed version of the "Mind Games" CD:

01 MIND GAMES
02 TIGHT AS
03 AISUMASEN (I'M SORRY)
04 ONE DAY (AT A TIME)
05 BRING ON THE LUCIE
06 NUTOPIAN INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM
07 INTUITION
08 OUT THE BLUE
09 ONLY PEOPLE
10 I KNOW (I KNOW)
11 YOU ARE HERE
12 MEAT CITY

Yeah, there's nothing like that original mix of "Nutopian International Anthem".....!

2 comments:

king kevin said...

It is a shame that albums get remixed to reflect the fads of the day. I wish the Beatles would just go ahead and put out remasters of their original Parlophone and Apple albums, with the original mono mixes especially. Those records are so short that they could fit the mono and stereo mixes on one disk even.
This is my favorite rant, excuse me!

Culpa Direct said...

I agree - The Beatles stuff should be available in original mono and stereo mixes. The re-mixes can be a lot of fun, but should not replace the originals (like the Lennon re-mixes).