Friday, May 18, 2007

What's Good?

"She married Ringo / and she could have had Paul....."

Sorry I haven't been posting very much lately, but I do have some interesting stuff lined up for the next week or so. And right now I thought I'd just post some of the miscellaneous things I've been enjoying recently.

First up are a couple of videos at YouTube. There's a fantastic JOHN LENNON video that I'd never seen before - its a home video of John playing acoustic guitar and singing "Dear Yoko", filmed on April 20, 1980 in Cold Spring Harbor. Absolutely wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0C3kH6TxE

This one here is my new second-favorite video. Its from 1972 (I think) - MARC BOLAN with ELTON JOHN and RINGO STARR doing "Children of the Revolution". Much fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwfrpRDBsKE

And here are a couple of MP3s that I've had in heavy rotation.

During the recording of "Double Fantasy", CHEAP TRICK was brought in to record John's "I'm Losing You" and Yoko's "I'm Moving On". Those versions weren't used on the finished LP, but "I'm Losing You" ended up on the "John Lennon Anthology". Here's "I'm Moving On", from the bootleg "Double Fantasy - Working Version":

I'M MOVING ON - (CHEAP TRICK VERSION)

This is a real odd item. Its FRANK SINATRA singing "Maureen Is A Champ", an ode to RINGO STARR's wife MAUREEN, to the tune of "The Lady Is A Tramp". The story is that it was done for her birthday in 1968 and was actually the first (and very limited) Apple acetate. The new lyrics were written by SAMMY CAHN, and that's BILL MILLER on piano.

MAUREEN IS A CHAMP - (FRANK SINATRA)

And finally, if you haven't already, go check out the "Classic Rock In The Refectory" photo sections at the University of Leeds website. Lots of great photos from some of the shows held there in 1970 and 1971, including the ROLLING STONES, THE WHO, and others.

CLASSIC ROCK - LEEDS UNIVERSITY