Wednesday, June 06, 2007

2007 Magazine of the Week #16


.
Yes, its The Sudden Return Of The 2007 Magazine of the Week!

.
Click on images to enlarge.
.
.
.
..
Thought by many to have disappeared for good with absolutely no prior notice, the MOTW is back, with a look at the July 1985 issue of RECORD. Its got a cover story on ERIC CLAPTON, who was promoting his new LP "Behind The Sun". He's interviewed by JEFFREY PEISCH.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Here's an excerpt with Clapton discussing how the PHIL COLLINS-produced LP ended up with three songs produced by TED TEMPLEMAN and Warner Bros president LENNY WARONKER:

"Well, Phil went on to his next project and I was doing some film music and that was the end of that. Then we got this message from Warner Bros saying that the record wasn't strong enough. I asked why, and they said because it needed more songs that would be able to be taken off as potential hit singles. I was very upset of course, because I'd never considered that to be a priority in my life, and still don't. But I suppose I had to bend with it and I wanted to know from them what they thought hit single material was. So they sent me some songs [by Texas songwriter JERRY LYNN WILLIAMS], which I liked a great deal. I said yeah, sure, I'll do them, and we'll see how it works out. But I think it would be best if you produced them, I told them. Phil couldn't do it; he was already locked into something else. I thought it would be best if Warners produced the songs and provided the musicians. So if any mistakes were made it would be in their camp; it was kind of a little tactical game, you know. So I went back to America and did those songs in Los Angeles with what they call the A team." [The songs, including the first single, "Forever Man", feature such studio heavyweights as TOTO's JEFF PORCARO and STEVE LUKATHER, MICHAEL OMARTIAN and GREG PHILLINGANES.]


Also in this issue is a review of JULIAN LENNON at the Palmer Auditorium in Austin, Texas on March 25th, 1985, and a cool article on REM by ANTHONY DECURTIS.















No comments: