Monday, March 03, 2008

Balls


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
So I'm watching "Opry Live" the other night on GAC, and they're interviewing singer Elizabeth Cook, who I've never heard of before. And she says she'll be doing a Velvet Underground song, that she learned from her "husband's record collection".
So for the next fifteen minutes or so, I'm trying to figure out what VU song this cute young country lady could possibly sing at the Grand Ole Opry. There's lots of music that could work, but there's always something inappropriate in the lyrics. I'm thinking, "There She Goes Again" is often-covered, but there's that "you better hit her" part. How about "I'm Set Free"? No, she can't sing about seeing her "head laughing, rolling on the ground".
I finally decided it had to be either "Oh Sweet Nothin'" or "One of These Days".
And of course I was wrong. They played a very nice country version of "Sunday Morning", complete with pedal steel. And after the song, she told the audience it was a Velvet Underground song, so the VU got mentioned twice on the show!
So was this the first time a Lou Reed song was played on the Opry stage? And will it be the last?
Here's a link to her CD, "Balls", featuring "Sunday Morning":


No comments: