Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Billy Preston

BILLY PRESTON passed away on Tuesday, June 6, 2006 from kidney failure. He had been in a coma since November.

I had the privilege of seeing him perform live once, in 1975, with THE ROLLING STONES. I saw ERIC CLAPTON a couple of years ago when Billy was touring with him, but the show I saw was one of the shows that he missed, being hospitalized.

So anyway, here are a bunch of songs to celebrate his life, and mark his passing. First there are his four A-sides for Apple Records - "That's The Way God Planned It" and "Everything's Alright" from 1969, and "All That I've Got" and "My Sweet Lord" from 1970. Then there's a few live tracks with The Stones - "That's Life" from Detroit, July 28, 1975, and "Nothing From Nothing" and "Outta Space" from Knebworth, August 21, 1976. Rest in peace, Billy.

THAT'S THE WAY GOD PLANNED IT
EVERYTHING'S ALRIGHT
ALL THAT I'VE GOT
MY SWEET LORD
THAT'S LIFE 7/28/75
NOTHING FROM NOTHING 8/21/76
OUTTA SPACE 8/21/76

No comments: