Saturday, November 04, 2006

Magazine of the Week #44



Its hard to believe its been 25 years.

The December 1981 issue of IRA ROBBINS' great TROUSER PRESS magazine featured a BILL WYMAN cover story by BILL FLANAGAN.





Here are some excerpts from the interview with Bill:

"I don't think I write the kind of songs the Rolling Stones could record."

"I don't think they really want that injection of material," Wyman says with the demeanor of someone who knows what he's dealing with. "I think they're quite happy to have the whole bag instead of a piece of it. And I think it works for the band that way. It's been a slight frustration over the years. It was to Mick Taylor when he couldn't join in. It was to me for a while. That's why I did the solo albums and got that out of my system; now I don't worry about it."
















He talks a bit about the early Stones tours:

"Every day there was madness. Police women being carried to the hospital, police dogs going insane and being shot. They used to put police dogs at each end of the stage; they'd go nuts from the noise and screaming, and have to be shot. Every single day over a period of six months - every day a riot."



Elsewhere in the magazine, there are articles on PSYCHEDLIC FURS, THE GO-GO'S, KILLING JOKE, and RICK SPRINGFIELD.









WAYNE KING's review of the "Tattoo You" LP wraps up with this:

"Tattoo You, as an accurate chronicle of this group's perpetual alienation, isn't a bad album. But if you believe rock can be about integration - about people fitting together instead of pulling apart - then its just another Rolling Stones record."

Click on images to enlarge.

No comments: