Friday, November 10, 2006

Magazine of the Week #45



"Is Jagger too jaded? Is Richards too ripped? Has the moss finally gathered? After 20 years of sex, drugs, love, hate, life and death, the Stones prove they can still roll."







Here's another one from 25 years ago - the November 10, 1981 issue of US magazine. Its MICK JAGGER and JERRY HALL on the cover, with a story on THE ROLLING STONES by MICHAEL CABLE.

Here are some excerpts:

".....1969 was a critical year for the group. They became a frivolous, flamboyant circus act after that, as if they had finally faced the devil that year and been scared out of taking themselves seriously. Following the 1972 album Exile On Main Street, critics saw a rapid decline from hot rock to tepid schlock. More censure was heard from the Stones' own generation than from the older one. John Lennon called Jagger a joke. Later, David Bowie described Jagger as less a sex symbol than a mother image."

We read about Keith's heroin addiction:

"It was waking up finding 15 Mounties around my bed that finally shocked me out of it," he says, referring to his 1977 Canadian arrest. "That was my flash of white light. It had got to the point where there was no real choice left. It was either go down the hole for a vast number of years or pull myself out of it. I realized I was destroying the band and destroying my kids."



We hear from Mick:

"I won't get married again," he responds to the general subject of women. "I'm a bit of a Catholic when it comes to that - I believe you only get one chance."





Mick also talks about his personal security:

"You have to be careful," says Jagger, "but you can't spend your life being paranoid. On stage, you can watch the first 30 rows for the nutter with a handgun. But if somebody's out there with a high-powered rifle, there's not much you can do about it."

And a little more from Keith:

"Everybody assumes we keep playing for the money," he says. "but we didn't start this thing for bread and we're not continuing for bread. In fact, the money is the drag. Spending all your time with tax lawyers is exceedingly boring. In fact, come to think of it, it was them who drove me to junk!"

No comments: