Wednesday, July 05, 2006

'80s Dance Party Extra: Lou at the Movies

Okay, okay - I just can't seem to stop dancing, so here are two tracks that probably should have been big dance hits, but weren't.

After one little hit single with "I Love You Suzanne", suddenly LOU REED was everywhere - movie soundtracks, dance records, tribute LPs, scooter commercials........

In 1985 Lou had songs in two different (and now largely forgotten) movies. These are both ripped from vinyl:

"Hot Hips" from "Perfect" pretty much followed the "I Love You Suzanne" formula, with minimalist lyrics accompanied by a simple repetitive guitar part and a fun beat. It also features a slide guitar, which is a bit odd for a Lou song.

"My Love Is Chemical" from "White Nights" has a bit of a slower dance beat. This one is strange if only for the fact that it was not written by Lou and that it was produced by PHIL RAMONE. I could be wrong, but FERNANDO SAUNDERS does not seem to be involved. And the backing vocals are very un-Lou-like. I wonder whose idea it was........

HOT HIPS (FROM "PERFECT")

MY LOVE IS CHEMICAL (FROM "WHITE NIGHTS")

No comments: