Saturday, July 08, 2006

Magazine of the Week #27





Our "Magazine of the Week #27" is the aforementioned July 1979 issue of TROUSER PRESS.








Trouser Press was a great magazine (originally called "Trans-Oceanic Trouser Press") that IRA ROBBINS got going in the late '70s and focused more on newer (and usually British) artists than the other popular rock mags at the time, but still had plenty of "Classic Rock" type stuff as well.

There's a KEITH RICHARDS interview by PHILLIPE MANOEUVRE from January 10, 1979 in Paris, and a RONNIE WOOD interview by DAVE SCHULPS and IRA ROBBINS from New York in May 1979.

Keith talks about his recent solo single: "I did "Run Rudolph Run" in November '76, while I was listening through all the tapes for "Love You Live". I did it with this young Canadian drummer, Mike Driscoll, who works with Mick Taylor. There's just him and me on it. I saw a copy today - it says "Stereo" but I know for a fact its mono - there's no way, 'cause it was just some microphones across the room, and its all overdubbed. I did the bass, and maybe three or four guitars, Driscoll played drums, and Stu is on piano."

Keith on "The Harder They Come": "That's Charlie and me and Ronnie's playing piano. That came about from a jam in the studio just after the tour this past summer. It was just a "five-minutes-lets-do-it" with all the Stones. Because nobody knew what they were doing, everybody was playing wrong, except Charlie, who was playing perfect time, so then I wiped everybody else off, and did it all again - replaced one guitar first, then I redid the bass. Eventually we redid Charlie's drums again, to get a better sound.What you have there is a record that's been made out of another record, except there's nothing of the original left. We used the same piece of tape, though."

Keith also talks a little about BILLY PRESTON's stint with The Stones, and says "When Billy turned up at the start of the '76 tour with his own sound man, that's when it became obvious to me that I couldn't work with Billy and The Stones like that".












Woody talks about his "Gimme Some Neck" LP, The New Barbarians, Faces, etc. Here's what he had to say about the Stones performance on "Saturday Night Live" in 1978: "Oh, the one where we were all hoarse. My voice was the first to go, and they all went "ha ha". Then Keith's went. Then Mick's went the day of the recording." Why? "'Cause we'd been up partying for three days straight. Trying to rehearse around that lot is impossible. You get Belushi, Ackroyd, and Bill Murray in and they're screaming and shouting. When the show went up, just before we went on camera, I was spraying the studio with Chloraseptic". Speaking of the actual broadcast performance, he says "Mick came up to me when I had my eyes closed and put his tongue in my mouth. Didn't do me any good with me mother-in-law".

There's also a review of the May 7th New Barbarians show at Madison Square Garden, a two-page center-spread "Faces Family Tree", and a full-page ad from the "Brian Jones Memorial Club" (click here).

And as if that weren't enough, the magazine also includes articles on NICO, VIV STANSHALL, and THE RAMONES, plus reviews of BOB DYLAN's "At Budokan", LOU REED's "The Bells", and PATTI SMITH's "Wave", and the back cover is an ad for BOWIE's "Lodger".

No comments: