Friday, January 20, 2006

Wilson Pickett and the Rolling Stones

I was trying to think of what I could post in memory of the recently-deceased WILSON PICKETT. The STONES have only done one of his songs that I'm aware of, "If You Need Me", but I don't have a live version (or outtake) of it. Pickett did record "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love", but not until well after the Stones' version.

Then it hit me: DICKIE GOODMAN. You all remember Dickie, don't you? He made all of those silly "clip" records - basically comedy skits which interwove short clips (I guess today we'd call them "samples") from popular songs.

In 1966 he put out a 45 called "Batman and His Grandmother" to capitalize on the then-current Batman craze. Its a great little record, with a story about Batman's grandmother being kidnapped by the Green Berets. And of the "samples" he used were, you guessed it, a WILSON PICKETT song and a ROLLING STONES song.

The Pickett song was "634-5789" and the Stones song was "19th Nervous Breakdown". I don't think this is available on CD, but I could be wrong. If it is commercially available, please let me know because I'd like to get a copy.

So here it is, an all-but-forgotten STONES collectible, featuring Wilson Pickett:

BATMAN AND HIS GRANDMOTHER

No comments: